Mold Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Top 20 Tips To Reduce Mold and Create a Healthy IAQ.
1. Keep indoor relative humidity below 60%.
2. "Sunlight is the best disinfectant," Make sure window treatments are not closed indefinitely.
3. Use ceiling fans to increase airflow.
4. Regular dusting/cleaning can reduce the food source for mold.
5. Do not smoke indoors.
6. Change HVAC filters regularly (use Pleated MERV 7 or greater).
7. Pay attention to dust build -uo around HVAC grills.
8. Humidity can be reduced by the use of bath fans while showering and allowing fan to run after shower completion.
9. Allow interior closet/pantry doors to remain partially open for ventilation.
10. Remove spoiled food and household trash regularly.
11. Mop/wipe-up spills and excess moisture in the home quickly.
12. Leave bathroom door open after showering.
13. Keep HVAC regularly maintained.
14. Remove excess condensation from window/sills quickly.
15. Regularly check for water leaks around common sources like shower stalls, kitchen and bath sinks.
16. Use approved biocide AC drip pans to prevent microbial accumulation.
17. Vacuum and clean carpets regularly.
18. Consider adding a humidistat to HVAC system if you live in high humidity climates.
19. Repair water leaks quickly.
20. Call a water restoration professional immediately after a large water loss.
Have a Mold Problem?
Call Us Today – (337) 462-6500
If you have a mold problem in your home or business, consider the following facts:
- Significant mold growth can occur in 48-72 hours.
- Mold may present a greater risk to children, the elderly, and anyone with respiratory problems.
- A strong, musty odor may indicate hidden mold behind drywall or under carpeting.
What to Do:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
- Contact SERVPRO of DeRidder, Leesville & Vinton for mold remediation services.
What Not to Do:
- Don’t touch or disturb the mold.
- Don’t blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
- Don’t attempt to dry the area yourself.
- Don’t spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
Mold Remediation Services
If you suspect that your home or business has a mold problem, SERVPRO of DeRidder, Leesville & Vinton has the training, equipment, and expertise to handle the situation.
We are proud to serve our local communities: