Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Water Tips | Fire Tips | Biohazard Tips | Mold Tips
Fire Damage Do's and Don'ts
• Call a professional. Within 72 hours corrosive byproducts can cause etching to some hard surfaces such
as chrome, porcelain and Formica.
• Do air out the house if the temperature permits.
• Change the air filter in the furnace if it uses forced hot air.
• Throw away open food packages.
• Send affected clothing, art work and paperwork to a qualified restoration cleaner.
• Have all electronics checked by an approved vendor before using them.
• Do not touch anything with ungloved hands because oil from your hands can permeate upholstery, walls and
woodwork, causing additional damage.
• Do not attempt to clean walls. Incorrect cleaning could compound the soot residue.
• Do not attempt to clean furniture, carpets or any type of textile.
• Do not use ceiling fans or lights if the ceiling is wet.
Call SERVPRO OF DeRidder, Leeville & Vinton for any type of fire or soot clean (337)462-6500
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (337) 462-6500
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.