Preventing Garbage Disposal Leaks
Repairing a garbage disposal leak can sometimes be an easy DIY fix. Other times, it can result in replacing the garbage disposal completely. The longer the leak isn't fixed, the more likely it is to cause water damage in your kitchen cabinets and floor. The best way to make sure you don't have to pay for all these expenses is to follow these DO's and DON'Ts of proper garbage disposal usage:
1. DON'T pour bleach down the drain. There are cleaning solutions specifically made for cleaning your garbage disposal.
2. DON'T overload your garbage disposal. Just like people, they can be overworked too.
3. DON'T put "hard foods" down the drain. Foods like apple cores and bones risk clogging and can lead to motor damage.
4. DO run cold water so fats don't turn into gunk that can lead to clogging.
5. DO perform routine checks at least 2 times a year or more.
6. DO take it a step further and consider using homemade cleaning solutions with natural ingredients.
Following these tips will not only prevent leaks but also improve your garbage disposal's longevity. If you are already experiencing a leak, there are plenty of articles that can let you know how to fix a leak depending on where the leak is coming from. However, contacting a plumbing pro is always the best solution so they can troubleshoot the issue properly.
If you have recently experienced a flood or leak, give us a call at 337-462-6500 to see how we can help.