Signs of Water Damage in Your Home
CHECKING FOR WATER DAMAGE SIGNS INSIDE YOUR HOME
Inside the home, look for the following for signs of water damage:
- Water rings on the ceiling or walls pointing to a leak in the pipes. While rings may be easier to notice, keep an eye out for smaller water stains on the ceiling or walls which are also common. Regularly go through your home and make a note of areas that are close to plumbing. If you're unable to see any water rings or stains but suspect a leak, listen for water leaks within the walls at night when the ambient noise is at its lowest.
- Soft or sagging spots on the floor, especially near the tub, shower, sinks. The spots may also be caused by leaking appliances in need of repair such as dishwashers, washing machines or a water heater.
- Cracked or warped tile, laminate or wood flooring. Water damage happens to all types of flooring and can lead to warping, splitting, or cracking as the water seeps in. While cracked or warped flooring may be easy to notice, you may not notice wet flooring, especially if it's in the corners of the room or in areas of your home that you don't frequent. Go out of your way to regularly inspect these areas and look out for any wet patches in rooms with carpeting, since minor water damage is often difficult to notice there.
- Look in the cabinet under the sink for watermarks, warping and discoloration that may indicate leaking pipes. Damp cabinets or mold are sure signs that there is a leaking pipe nearby. Call a professional as soon as possible to get the issue fixed. This small repair cost may save you larger costs and trouble down the line.
- Pay attention to any apparently new repairs to ceilings, walls and windows. Are there patch jobs? Does there appear to be areas with heavier paint? These "quick fixes" may be hiding water damage spots.
- Check for rust on the hot water heater. These can indicate a previous or current leak and any leak can mean water damage.
- Trust your sense of smell. If there is a mildew or musty smell, it's likely there was water damage and now there may be a potential mold issue that will require mold remediation.